ImpressionsLet's give you an idea of the atmosphere first. Here's TestBash Germany in tweets!
The Meetup Before
Loving #testbash already. Put some faces to awesome names, laughed, drank beer, ate pizza and jumped off buildings / did sky swings on VR :)— Alex Schladebeck (@alex_schl) 5. Oktober 2017
The Conference Day
#TestBash #OktoberTest with @Mr_Slavchev @olli_kahn @lisihocke Monika @chr_kram pic.twitter.com/WTpT1ZetUT— Cassandra H. Leung (@Tweet_Cassandra) 6. Oktober 2017
Surrounded by so much awesomeness makes even old grumpy smile. Thank you ladies! @katrina_tester, @alex_schl, @lisihocke & Carmen #TestBash pic.twitter.com/LjHdm8Jr5l— Patrick Prill (@TestPappy) 7. Oktober 2017
Striking a pose @VeraGeBa @Marcel_Gehlen @dnlkntt @TesterFromLeic @TestPappy @EnquireTST #testbash #oktobertest @ministryoftest pic.twitter.com/X5cZSwPupq— Viola Korte (@vioble) 6. Oktober 2017
After #TestBash drinks, thanks for sponsoring the first round @saucelabs! #oktobertest pic.twitter.com/7V30GjfM7t— Ministry of Testing (@ministryoftest) 6. Oktober 2017
After Testbash Bavarian Style #DrunkenNinja #testbash #oktobertest @ministryoftest pic.twitter.com/NHNb79rIam— Viola Korte (@vioble) 6. Oktober 2017
After an amazing breakfast (thanks to @qa_enthusiast ) the #openspace has started! #testbash @ministryoftest @MaibornWolff pic.twitter.com/Ymj4hXYnoN— Vera Gehlen-Baum (@VeraGeBa) 7. Oktober 2017
It was an awesome day! Great to get more opportunities to speak with people, dive deeper into topics & learn more :) https://t.co/1VBOVXs15l— Elisabeth Hocke (@lisihocke) 7. Oktober 2017
Talking, Take Two
Just last week I gave my very first conference talk at SwanseaCon. Shortly afterwards I found myself walking a theater stage, giving my second conference talk. I felt excited to get this opportunity; nervous to get on stage in front of a bigger audience consisting of mostly testers; and a bit freaking out due to the big camera in front of me. Fortunately, according to first feedback the talk seemed to have gone down quite well. If you'd like to have a first glimpse, check out my slides: Next Stop: FlixBus! A Tester Exploring Developer Land. Later on you'll find the recording on the Ministry of Testing Dojo.
2nd conference talk: "Next Stop: FlixBus! A Tester Exploring Developer Land" - done! :D enjoying the awesome atmosphere at #TestBash Germany— Elisabeth Hocke (@lisihocke) 6. Oktober 2017
Of course, not everything went as planned and I think there are several things to improve on (like learning how to ignore cameras). However, all the feedback and tweets about my talk really made my day; especially the following from two of the most awesome testers and speakers I know of - still can't believe it!
My Personal Highlights
There were many awesome talks and sessions, but the following impressed me the most.
- Alex Schladebeck and her talk "Dear Future Me... a letter to myself about testing, the universe and everything". I cannot tell enough how much I related to her stories! So important messages to tell. Alex is such an amazing storyteller and it was a fantastic opening talk for the conference.
Don't tell people, "you don't need to know that," or, "that's too technical for you". @alex_schl #TestBash #OktoberTest pic.twitter.com/EPDHa8Puel— Cassandra H. Leung (@Tweet_Cassandra) 6. Oktober 2017Great #recommondations by @alex_schl at #testbah #oktobertest - so true! 👍🏼 pic.twitter.com/M977vEPj44— Sven Schirmer (@qa_enthusiast) 6. Oktober 2017Okay, the talk I did at #testbash (letters to myself) was great.I like it. I think it'd be a great keynote. Want it next year? Contact me :)— Alex Schladebeck (@alex_schl) 8. Oktober 2017
- Viktor Slavchev with his talk "“Worst” Practices of Software Testing." Do you hear the same things being praised as best practices over and over again? Well, there's a problem: there are no best practices! (I so agree with this point.) Viktor shared some "worst" practices what to do instead - great points! Loved his talk.
- Carmen Sighiartau presented "A Tester Guide To Win Developers Respect!" How great to have a developer speaking at a tester conference! She really showed us a different perspective on us testers and shared how her perception evolved. In general I have the feeling developers and testers should grow closer together. Attend and speak at each other's dedicated conferences. Foster mixed, or even more diverse events. It will help everyone of us.
- Katrina Clokie talked about "Volunteering to Lead". She delivered an awesome closing talk, sharing her three biggest lessons in leadership with us:
"Think! About your work" whether you're a tester our developer ~ Carmen Sighiartau #TestBash #OktoberTest pic.twitter.com/IJYYqPxaWM— Cassandra H. Leung (@Tweet_Cassandra) 6. Oktober 2017
- Find your Zen so you can learn to respond to, not to react on feedback.
- Learn to persuade, for example by using the SPIN acronym.
- Make mistakes, treat them as an opportunity to learn.
@katrina_tester on SPIN technique to have influential conversations. #testbash #oktobertest pic.twitter.com/RtLJ157tai— Lisa Persson (@nossrepasil) 6. Oktober 2017
Meet the #munich #meetup gang presenting their #munich #tester #stammtisch #testbash @ministryoftest @Marcel_Gehlen @vioble @benh3i pic.twitter.com/M3dG4gWZwq— Vera Gehlen-Baum (@VeraGeBa) 6. Oktober 2017
My highlight of all open space sessions today!! Great way to learn about security & penetration testing :D #TestBash https://t.co/sCZc5meQws— Elisabeth Hocke (@lisihocke) 7. Oktober 2017
Last But Not Least: The People
It's been an amazing #TestBash Germany. Many thanks to all people for making it awesome! Special thanks to @TestPappy @e_tester ... 1/2— Elisabeth Hocke (@lisihocke) 6. Oktober 2017
You already heard me say it several times, and I mean it: In the end, it's all about the people. The people make this great community. And the community makes events like TestBash great. Therefore: A big shout-out and thank you to everyone who is part of it. And if you're feeling you're not part of it yet - please don't hesitate to ping me on Twitter. And if you're not on Twitter yet, I'd really recommend you to create an account instantly! Twitter helped me enter the community! :-)... @Marcel_Gehlen @VeraGeBa @TesterFromLeic @vioble @dnlkntt @FriendlyTester and anyone I might have missed! #OktoberTest 2/2— Elisabeth Hocke (@lisihocke) 6. Oktober 2017
#testbash you were amazing again! Thanks for bringing inspiring people together in so many great ways to share and care! @ministryoftest— Viola Korte (@vioble) 7. Oktober 2017